Importance of HTTPS & SSL for Websites
Written by Dynamic Presence - June 21, 2017
Brief introduction of what SSL means
Your website address begins with https instead of conventional http.
When your website or apps has SSL installed and implemented correctly, a Secure lock icon will be shown on all your web browsers like Chrome, Firefox, etc.
Advantages of HTTPS and SSL
- HTTPS is officially a Google SEO ranking factor
- The secure lock icon is an unspoken symbol of trust. Shows all users to your website that the data transferred is encrypted, private and secure.
- One of the pre-requisites for websites to go HTTP/2. A much faster web browsing experience for users using modern web browsers. Fast-loading webpages have a positive impact Google SEO ranking in its search results.
Why most sites are not HTTPS?
- More Work involved. If not implemented correctly, asset complications may arise in the integration process, causing broken SSL status.
- Total Cost factor
Good to Know
- Close to 50% of the top 1 million websites are on HTTPS in 2017, as compared to less than 20% in 2014.
- Google Chrome now labels non-https websites as Not Secure, indicated with a red triangle for pages on HTTP.
- Important statistics to note: 2017 – Google Chrome web browser powers >60% of users in Singapore and 64% worldwide.